Dolesh Family

Dolesh Family

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Seeing Double

In last week's post, I mentioned the start of tax season.  That is a significant event for us, similar to the last couple months of the year for those in retail, or for farmers like my dad when harvest comes.  It is an all consuming, day and night (sometimes middle of the night), and all weekend activity that hits our family.  My hope is to share some of this with those who are close to us (aka - those that will hear very little from us until the end of April).  

This week seemed a bit better as the routine started to fall in place.  The kids still have moments where it is evident that the second string (dad) has stepped in to run the show.  Just like in sports....when the stakes are not too high, the second string actually looks good.  Well, the stakes have been higher the last couple of weeks and the second string has not looked so hot.  In order to figure out this stuff, I need lists...reminders...charts...idiot reminders, etc.  Katy makes fun of my lists or maybe it is my initiation into what real parenting is like...."Ha Ha sucker - you figure it out now.  You get the kids to school on time, remember everything they need, get them fed, break up fights, and remember the snacks that Merritt "always" eats on the way home from school. (just like I have been doing for the PAST 7 YEARS)"  Snacks in the car???  Ah, she can wait until we get home, I think....it is only 5 min.  Well, let's just say, I'm on board now.  After one experience of the "snacks we forgot at home", I will always remember them.  My lists were created this week to make sure we didn't have to run home after getting halfway to school on the way and realizing Stimson didn't have his gloves.  Or forgetting Merritt's snacks....or forgetting to get the meat out of the freezer as Katy asked me 10 times to do so it could thaw out before evening.  I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat trying to remember everything I need to get ready for the next day.  This week started off with me on a roll.  Stimson was wearing his boots, had his hat and gloves, and his lunch.  I had Merritt in the car on the way to her school.  I had her lunch, her water bottle, her boots, and even 'her' in the car with her seat belt buckled.  I also remembered to close the garage door (its the little things that count here)  Just one thing....I couldn't figure out why my vision was so bad on the way to school.  Was tax season already taking its toll?  Had I really not been sleeping well?  Was I seeing double?  I had my glasses on.  Then I got to work and realized I also had my contacts in.  Apparently the combination of glasses and contacts actually doesn't improve your vision.  I hadn't forgotten anything...I had over prepared.  Sigh....I still have a ways to go to get this down.  

This past weekend, we did take a last minute trip to see Stimson and Merritt's cousins in Kalispell.  

How can we get away?  Good question....It was a very quick trip with Katy figuring out how to work in the car. 













We were able to help "Aunt Trisha" celebrate her birthday.  We also got some air time on the luge track Uncle Pete and Bowman built.

Serena and Merritt also realized they could start playing together....not with toys though.  True to their personality....playing away from everyone else...

13 WEEKS LEFT of TAX SEASON!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this, Brad.

Trisha Carlson said...

Thanks for sharing! I think you are both great parents. Brad, I once left the grocery store without my groceries. I told the clerk when I went back in that I was just glad I had remembered my children.