Dolesh Family

Dolesh Family

Monday, February 2, 2015

5 More Minutes

There are some days when an extra hour or two would completely change the outcome of a day.  And then there are some days where a meager 5 minutes would make the difference.  There were several of those '5 minute-moments' this past week.  It was another busy week - keeping the wheels moving on the status quo of our household, a hectic week at work, the prospect of attending jury duty (for both of us), and volunteering to help take Stimson's class cross-country skiing.  Then there was the unplanned - regrettably installing new license plates on our car before heading to school (2 minutes turned into 30 minutes), getting to work early for an important meeting after delivering two kids to school, and Thursday.

The "Counting Project"
Thursday, Stimson was headed into Bridger Canyon to go cross-country skiing with his class.  What a great field trip perk living in a skiing community. Through a great benefit at work, I was able to use volunteer hours to hang out with Stimson AND go cross-country skiing!!  An easy morning of getting the kids out the door and a fun day I thought.  I had 30-40 more minutes than usual!!  I decided to enjoy 5 minutes of relaxed breathing while getting the kids fed.  At about 7:30a, I realized that we were behind schedule.  Panic started to set in....I still had to help get the kids teeth brushed, get Merritt's hair out of her face, get Merritt fully dressed, get the skis, extra ski clothes, lunches, Stimson's "counting project", Merritt's snacks, wash dishes, put the food back in the fridge.  Time to hurry things along....only problem is the kid's tend to know when mom or dad is in a rush and their body somehow naturally goes into a catatonic state.....aka - "slo-mo".  Merritt laid on the floor refusing to put her shoes on.  Stimson was trying to push all of her "buttons" to amplify the entertainment he was getting out of this.  Finally, I had Stimson go get in the car.  If he goes, Merritt goes, right?  Or at least one of the kids is locked up in the car heading in the same direction and I can go from zone defense to man to man defense.  Merritt finally complied and headed out the door.  Now I only had to get the gas mask out and suck in some air while the kids were "getting in the car", grab my stuff, and head out.  After grabbing a few things, I ran out to the garage expecting to find Merritt sticking her head in the fridge looking for her lunch.
Skier in training
 She was not by the fridge, nor was she in the car with Stimson.....wait, didn't I see her walk out the door?  I started yelling for her in the garage, I looked outside, and then ran back to check in the house.  When I was frantically running outside, I did hear a faint voice in the distance of an adult asking "Where's your mom?".  My initial though was that it was definitely not my kid.  Why can't parents keep tabs on their own kids.  Wait, I don't know where my daughter is AND the front gate is open.  Hmmmm.  I ran to the front of the house and found Merritt making her way, on her own, to Stimson's school, without a coat.  Meanwhile, a school bus driver had stopped to ask my daughter where her parents were.  No police and no arrests for negligent parenting. We raced off to school to drop her off, only to play games at school with changing shoes.  Sometimes it is cute when Merritt plays around with her shoes....and sometimes it is NOT cute.  We raced back home.
 Meanwhile on the drive home, I made a list in my head of all the things I had to round up before heading to school....including Stimson's 100 fragile pine cones hanging on a stick.  We raced off to school and I shoved Stimson off to school so he could make it in before the bell rang.  I then raced into his classroom with the stick and 100 pine cones.  Hmmmm, where do I set this fragile beast in a classroom of 1st graders?  Why didn't we stick 100 marshmallows to a piece of paper and call it good?  Why are all of these pine cones falling off?  Oh, Stimson's class is here now and I'm going to be bombarded by all of these kids wondering what this tree is.  I left the project in a corner and ran back outside to get the skis.  If you have ever carried two sets of skis with poles and boots, you know that it isn't the most awkward thing you have carried, but it is close.  Add a backpack with extra clothes and a lunch, and I was breaking a sweat.  Just make it to Stimson's class....just make it to his class.  When I got there, the class was gone - potentially already leaving on the bus.  Looks like I might be driving up myself I thought.  As I walked aimlessly back down the hall, I ran into one of the student assistants.  "Are you Stimson's dad?"  Ah...yes, I think so.  Why do you ask?  Do I look like I need help?  "Everyone is on the bus and we are waiting for you" was the response.  Breathe......I loaded the bus, but of course the skis were taller than the ceiling of the bus.  Of course everyone was staring at me.   Of course I was sweating....and of course, it sounded like 100 people yelling all at the same time in my ears.  Am I the only one that is about 5 minutes off schedule?  If I just had 5 more minutes...


We did make it through the week.  Jury duty was cancelled for Katy AND I.  We had a great day cross-country skiing.  Saturday the kids and I were able to go swimming.  Katy and I also were able to cross-country ski a bit Sunday during Stimson's last downhill ski lesson.  

11 WEEKS TO GO!

No comments: