Dolesh Family

Dolesh Family

Sunday, February 8, 2015

PAAAIIIINNNNFUL

Word of the week - PAIN.  Pain is a relative term, as we all know.  You have probably heard the phrases: "No pain, no gain." or "Pain is weakness leaving the body."....  Or maybe pain is the unexpected, frustrating, unfathomable, inconvenient.....
The "counting project" (from the last update) displayed at school......somebody wants to buy it!

This past week pain seemed to resonate in multiple facets and I noticed a few examples in our "House of Pain".  
 1) Merritt experiences pain when she doesn't get to "win"......at anything involving her brother.  This includes brushing her teeth, opening the front door, eating, putting on her shoes, getting dressed, and even throwing up.  

2) Stimson experiences pain when perfection is not achieved and it ends up being the "worst day EVER!"  (Sorry Stimson, I think those genes come from me).

3) Katy and I experience pain when attempt to have a conversation at the end of the day and we feel like a train is passing by inches away.....as two kids are also having a conversation with either Katy or me...or both.  Mom!!! Mom!!! Watch this!  Watch this!  Can I have an apple?  Can I have an apple?  Can I have an apple? Can I have an apple?  What's for dinner?  What's for dinner?  Are we having breakfast or dinner right now?  I don't want broccoli! 

The little 'Diva' herself
There is one phenomenon in our house however that seems to take PAIN to a new level.  I'm not even sure how to describe this other than to say that even though raising kids is a challenge, there are some things that should just not be this hard or painful.  The human body is amazing.  It sends up flares when you are hungry (our kids turn into gremlins) , tells you when things are not right, and even helps you know when it is time to use the bathroom.  Our daughter has taken it to a new level when it comes to listening to your body and knowing when to use the bathroom.  I'm not trying to get into a classic 'junior high' conversation here.  However, it is painful to watch the process.  Merritt seems to want to overcome all odds and set new records for how long she can hold her natural bodily functions.  Or maybe she is simply stubborn and doesn't want to listen to the wisdom of her parents (I sure hope this is not a preview of life 10-13 years from now).  It's also possible, she absolutely listens to no one, not even her own body.  She is "THE BOSS".  Either way, this manifests itself out in a number of ways, usually including clear signs that simple conventional wisdom would just say  "Yeah, its probably time".  I'm sure the problems would be solved if we stopped 'recommending' that she use the bathroom, since it wouldn't be our idea.  The pain piece of this - watching her walk around with an obvious shortness of breath and indicating she is in some sort of pain....or her agitated responses......or her sitting on the floor and rocking back and forth in rapid fashion......or the best one yet - running in place as she did while I was checking out at a store.  Her response was "I do have to go Dad, but I can hold it." It almost seem as if we are restricting her from going.  That is NOT the case.  Every time we ask her if she has to go to the bathroom, the answer is "No, I don't have to go!!!"

 This week, I was again reminded of the recurring conversation.  We are trying to let her respond naturally instead of us 'recommending' she go herself.  That works when we are home to some degree.  Yet, when we are about to head out somewhere, it is always best to 'try before we leave'.  Earlier this week, we were about to head out to get some groceries and I had this conversation:

My grocery helper

Dad (D): Merritt, can you go to the bathroom before we go?
Merritt (M): What?
70's Day at Stimson's school
D: Can you go to the bathroom?
M: I don’t have to go.
D: Can you just try?
M: No, I don't have to go.
D: Can you please try to go?
M: DAD!!!!!  Whhhaaattt issssssss the proooobbblem?
D: Can you go to the bathroom?
M: I don’t have to go!
D: Merritt, I would like you to try before we go.  If you don’t have to go, then you can get back off.
M: DAD!!!!!  I have to go really bad!!!

It turns out the 10 minute delay in getting to the grocery store due to this conversation was not a bad thing.  We learned about another painful event of our week - Katy had just separated her shoulder.  My wife has an incredibly high tolerance for pain.... puts me to shame.  When she says she would rather have a baby, I knew it was bad.  Off to the doctor as fast as we could go, hitting many more bumps than usual, while Merritt was sitting in the back seat softly asking "Can someone buckle me?".  Another wrench has been thrown into tax season, but we continue to move forward.

In the waiting room while multiple people pull Katy's arm back into place
On another note, we have caught on to the 'competitive' side of Merritt.  Stimson has started telling Merritt he has to go to the bathroom.  Since she has to win, she actually heads to the bathroom and goes.

10 WEEKS TO GO


No comments: