Dolesh Family

Dolesh Family

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Why?

We made Valentine's cards
Merritt's valentine bookmarks
Sometimes life has no explanations?  Or maybe there are explanations and we have simply run out of what's necessary to answer the questions.  Or maybe the answers to the questions are best left to the one asking the question....where providing an immediate answer devalues the question itself.  During tax season, I find myself asking "Why?".  The four months of Daddy Daycare seem to be going great at some moments and at other times, boulders start crashing down. I would like to think I have been able to anticipate the needs of our household.  I learned from the last minute gingerbread house making that I didn't want to be up at midnight making Valentine Cards for the kids and their school parties.  Why do we celebrate Valentine's day anyway?  Aren't we setting up our kids for major disappointments down the road (sending/receiving the right/wrong card in junior high)?

Fear the "Look"
It could be the 3 year-old in our family influencing that thought process with an overwhelming number of "Whys" throughout the day.  Consider a few of these conversations - "Merritt, you need to eat your vegetables before you can have hot dogs." Why?
"Merritt, can you please not dig your muddy shoes into the car seat?"  Why?  "Merritt, we are not going to be able to keep your favorite penny now that you threw it into the toilet."  Why? (sobbing - however Dad broke the family code.  After flushing and the penny did not go down, I figured it must have truly been a valuable penny. I reached in and then applied all forms of disinfectant that I could find . It was sure worth avoiding the deathly sobbing)  "Merritt, please do not put your hands in your mouth after rolling on the floor in the grocery store." Why?  "Merritt, please do not hit your brother." Why?

Overcoming 'meltdown'mode in the store. 
This past week, I was reminded about the "Why" dilemma. We have been setting the same alarm, to get up at the same time, to go through the same eating process, so we can brush the same teeth, put the same coats on, and leave the house at the same time to get to the same before-school program and yet the world crashes and the kids don't understand "why" we have to leave at that time.




We go to the same store to get the same food so that we can get the same stickers at the checkout and return the same carts to their spots when we are done.  For some reason, since Dad is along, the process doesn't go the 'same' way as it does with Mom.  Luckily, I step back and let Stimson do his magic and calm down the 3-year old while onlookers are aghast with my inaction.

Valentine's toy before the 'foot crunch'
Merritt got a new toy from one of her fellow students on Valentine's Day.  It is the 'new, favorite, all-time best' toy.  She wouldn't put it down and yet she steps on it as only Merritt would do.  When it broke, all she could say was "Why"?  Why doesn't it work anymore?

I was able to spend time with the kids on Monday.  President's Day meant a holiday for me and a day off from school for the kids.  It was going to be an epic day with the kids.  We would throw quarters in a washing machine, go to the toy store, go out to eat for lunch, geocaching downtown.  After two hours of the kids fighting, moody Monday attitudes, incredible misunderstandings and failed expectations....I was ready to go back to work. Why did this have to happen?

At the end of the day, I have been reminded how incredibly lucky I am to spend time with my kids (including the frustrating and comical fits), get to know more about the friends they are spending time with, see Merritt's eyes get big when I stop by her school to pick her up, enjoy the walks to school with the kids who will one day choose to walk with cooler friends, etc.  It also makes the Valentine's Day cards meaningful.

"Dear Dad, Happy Valentine's Day. You do such great things all the time.  Where would I sleep without you making my bunk bed? Love Stimson? "

"Dad, I love you! Happy Christmas (Valentine's Day)!  I like to go swimming with dad. I like to go to the park with dad.  I like going to waterslides with dad. I like going to the tunnel park with dad! Love Merritt" (dictated by Merritt)

9 WEEKS TO GO!



Journaling and drawing the sunset for school







1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love all the pictures,Brad. Can't wait to be with you - 2 weeks!